What is motivation? Motivation is the reason you behave a way towards achieving your goals. It is the mixture of your desires, values, and drive to act. How does it affect my success? Motivation plays a role in how you make decisions and on your road to success.
Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation
Extrinsic motivation refers to external factors that come from outside the body, like money, reward, fame, and a competitive environment. Extrinsic motivation is what encourages performers to compete and win. Intrinsic motivation refers to coming from within, which is determined by an interest or finding enjoyment in an activity.
How to Stay Motivated
Staying motivated throughout your journey to success can be difficult. You need to ask yourself why you want to achieve this goal and what steps you are going to do to be successful. To help stay motivated, start by choosing realistic goals, and even breaking them into small actions. Write down your goals to help keep you motivated, and to give you the visual aspect of what you are working toward to hold yourself accountable.
Furthermore, follow these steps to help you stay motivated and successful:
- Write down objectives – if you are unclear about what you are trying to achieve or work towards, take time and write down your goals, objectives, and the approach you will take to complete them. When you’ve written your objectives and are feeling confident in your plan, schedule to work hard to be successful in achieving each of your goals.
- Reschedule – You need to be willing to do whatever it takes to be successful in reaching your goals. So, sometimes this means rescheduling items in your calendar, or schedule that is part of your daily routine to focus more on what you need to complete to reach your goal. Staying motivated and achieving success doesn’t fall into your lap. You do need to work hard and develop good habits to help you through the process.
- Set high standards – to be successful, you need to set high standards and new goals as you grow. When you are in the mind frame that you can accomplish anything, you build your motivation and success.
- Recognize your strengths – when you recognize your strengths, you can use them to your advantage. Whether your goals are personal or in business, take the time to reflect on your skill strengths and how you can use them to accomplish your goals.
Start to use these essential tips in your daily life to maximize your motivation and chances of success:
- Set clear and realistic goals
- Be the best version of yourself all the time. Treat people how you want to be treated
- Dress successfully
- Have a positive and productive mindset
- As you reach goals, aspire for higher purposes, but make sure they are still realistic
- You are going to fail, don’t be afraid to fail, accept and move on
When you lack motivation, you aren’t getting results in your goals, but when you are motivated and have incentive, you work harder to achieve better results. Lacking motivation means a lack of enthusiasm and ambition. When you are motivated, you have a desire and willingness to go after your goals. Generally, when people are motivated, they are happier and more energetic to get positive results, which leads to being more successful.
To strengthen your motivation and success, you need to:
- set goal
- understand that finishing what you start is important
- socialize with achievers and people with similar goals
- stop procrastinating
- have patience and persistence
- read about subjects that are of interest to you
- practice constant affirmations to yourself that you can succeed
- visualize your goals as you achieve them, and celebrate your successes
- don’t take failures personally, avoid conflicts or negative thoughts