Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

GAMING

Online gaming companies thriving in spite of pandemic

The entire worldwide market is projected to grow from an estimated $1.72 trillion in 2015 to $2.2 trillion by 2021. Gaming is an integral and ever-developing segment of this market.

Photo by nicolas perez from Unsplash.com

The gaming markets have not only survived the pandemic… they have actually thrived. The global media and entertainment market has consistently been on the rise during this time.

The entire worldwide market is projected to grow from an estimated $1.72 trillion in 2015 to $2.2 trillion by 2021. Gaming is an integral and ever-developing segment of this market.

The two largest gaming regions, Asia Pacific and North America, are predicted to account for 78% of global revenues in 2017. Online gaming in particular is one of the branches that has evolved over the past decades. It includes social gaming, mobile gaming, as well as free-to-play and pay-to-play massively multiplayer gaming, otherwise known as MMO gaming.

According to Statista, the latter two segments combined generated revenue of roughly $19.9 billion in 2016 and, judging by the data volume of global online gaming traffic alone, which is forecast to grow from 126 petabytes in 2016 to 568 petabytes in 2020, it is safe to assume online gaming is here to stay.  

The Statista report added: “Revenue in the Online Games segment is projected to reach $23,582 million in 2021; Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2021-2025) of 7.4%, resulting in a projected market volume of $31,328 million by 2025; User penetration will be 14.6% in 2021 and is expected to hit 16.4% by 2025; The average revenue per user (ARPU) is expected to amount to US$21.49; and in global comparison, most revenue will be generated in China (US$5,599m in 2021).”  

Active tech and gaming stocks in news include:  Tapinator, Inc., Glu Mobile Inc., Zynga Inc., DraftKings Inc., Electronic Arts Inc.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Statista continued: “The number of online console gamers is expected to grow to over 57 million by 2020 and the market for PC online games alone is projected to reach a value of around $33.6 billion by 2019.”

In a 2016 survey, 25% of respondents claimed to have spent on average between 41% to 60% of their time playing multiplayer online games using a handheld console. Social gaming is tightly bound with mobile gaming, as the majority of social games are developed in the form of apps for iOS and Android devices.

In the US alone, the social app-based market largely exceeds browser-based social gaming. This trend has been apparent at least since 2010. That year, app-based gaming accounted for 70% of the social online market value, with the remaining 30% of the value attributed to browser social games.

Advertisement

Like Us On Facebook

You May Also Like

GAMING

As the gaming industry has evolved, demand for high-fidelity visual gaming experiences has increased too. These modern monitors maximize home movie entertainment and the...

GAMING

The Weeknight Showdown: BPO Invitational is scheduled on March 6-7, 2021. The event is presented by PayMaya, in partnership with OPPO and Popeyes, and...

GAMING

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics cards harness breakthrough AMD RDNA 2 gaming architecture, 96MB of high-performance AMD Infinity Cache, 12GB of high-speed GDDR6...

GAMING

The acquisition supports HP’s strategy to drive growth in its Personal Systems business, where gaming and peripherals are attractive segments.

GAMING

A reason for these breaks may be to find a distraction from high workloads, which was also cited as the most common reason to...

GAMING

FIFA made the Guinness Book Of World Records in 2018 as the best-selling sports videogame series of all time with over 193 million copies...

GAMING

The independent application portal, Uptodown, discloses a study based on its traffic data, pointing out the mobile games that are in greatest demand in...

COMPUTERS

Introducing MSI GE66 Raider, GE76 Raider, GS66 Stealth, GP66 Leopard, GP76 Leopard, and Stealth 15M series.

Advertisement