Lenovo announced a new generation of laptops designed for education and supported by wide-ranging software and services offerings to facilitate learning in a new world.
Offering a broad choice of Windows or Chromebook systems powered by AMD or Intel processors, the new laptops provide durability within distinctive designs and now include features that help students and educators transition between classroom and remote learning. They can further enhance their collaborative learning space by adding a touch enabled ThinkVision T24t mounted on an ergonomic stand.
It is estimated that more than 1.5 billion students have been affected by school closures and many continue to endure disrupted agendas. As a technology provider, Lenovo is committed to partnering with customers to develop and deliver innovative solutions to enhance learning today and into the future.
“We applaud educators, students and institutions for their energy and dedication in the face of unprecedented challenges,” said Jerry Paradise, vice president of Global Commercial Portfolio and Product Management in Intelligent Devices Group, Lenovo. “As a leader in the global education market, we remain laser-focused in our pursuit to support all involved in education. Our ongoing commitment and expertise in tailored solutions will help drive innovative educational technology as we reimagine and reinvent teaching and learning.”
New Computing Devices for Hybrid Learning
Our new laptops designed for education have evolved to withstand the rigours of remote learning. Devices need to be more mobile than ever and are at greater risk of drops, spills and knocks. We’ve made our devices more durable and added features more suited to all learning modalities.
All models meet the independent MIL-SPEC 801H standard. In addition, Lenovo’s own stringent education specifications call for reinforced ports and hinges, with rubber bumpers to protect from accidental drops. Spill resistance has been improved by nearly ten percent and Corning Gorilla Glass offers better screen protection.
The new designs also include features to enable more productive and inclusive learning wherever it may be:
- USB Type-C port allows flexible docking for easy connection of external devices and supports quick charging by providing up to 80 percent battery in an hour
- New HDMI port enables connection of a second display to extend the learning workspace
- Optional Intel Wi-Fi 6 helps network performance and stability while 4G-LTE is optional on select models for multi-location learning capabilities
- End-user privacy is enhanced with the addition of a physical webcam shutter
The Gen 2 14-inch Lenovo 14w and 14e are powered by AMD processors optimized for Chromebooks. The models are differentiated by their color with the Windows-based 14w coming in storm black, while the 14e Chromebook is available in a storm gray aluminum design.
The 3rd generation Lenovo 100 clamshell laptop and the 300 and 500 convertible models are clearly identified by their designation with “e” signifying Chromebook and “w” meaning Windows. The 11.6-inch models are also distinctive in their appearance. Lenovo 100e, 300e and 500e Gen 3 feature an attractive grey finish with speckled design and white dots on grey bumpers. The 100w, 300w and 500w Gen 3 offer a similar design approach but feature a blue finish to clearly distinguish between versions.
The Lenovo 500e and 500w are powered by the new Intel Celeron N5100 and Intel Pentium N6000 processors respectively. The Lenovo 100e and 300e are powered by AMD’s latest processors for Chromebooks, with their Windows counterparts powered by AMD 3015e processors.
Monitors and Accessories Enrichen Learning Ecosystem
ThinkVision monitors can offer a richer online and classroom learning experience. By encouraging interactive and collaborate learning, additional displays can help diversify classroom content and improve distance learning. The new ThinkVision T24t offers touch capability with up to 2,880 sensors on its 23.8-inch display helping students easily interact with education content. Furthermore, the T24t provides a one-cable solution to easily connect compatible Windows, Chromebook and Android devices via USB Type-C for docking and powering the device up to 75W.
As students and teachers spend more and more hours in digital learning environments, eye strain and bad posture are consequences of extended periods. ThinkVision T24t offers an extended tilt range for better ergonomic position, while Natural Low Blue Light eyecare technology certified with Eyesafe and TÜV Rheinland Eye Comfort certification reduce harmful blue light wavelengths allowing extended periods without the worry of eye fatigue without compromising amazing color performance.
Check out the datasheet for full specifications including standard features and configuration options.
A broad selection of accessories can make education more fun and productive. Mice, headsets and webcams improve hybrid learning experiences and new carry cases offer better protection and easier movement between places of learning.
Education optimized accessories include:
- The lightweight Lenovo 100 Stereo USB Headset delivers clear audio for digital learning and calls, and works with all leading unified communications platforms while certified Works with Chromebook
- Also available is the Lenovo FHD Webcam. Featuring a Full HD 1080p CMOS camera, the webcam is great for high quality conference calls with friends, family and virtual classrooms.
- The plug-and-play Lenovo Essential USB Mouse, available in black or white, offers a high resolution 1600DPI optical sensor for smooth operation and is suitable for both right- and left-handed operation.
- New custom moulded hard-shell carry cases designed specifically for the new generation of 11.6-inch Lenovo education laptops protect the laptops against bumps and scratches. The Targus Cases for Lenovo will be available soon. Alternatively the ThinkPad 11.6-inch Work-In Case is perfect for the student or teacher who frequently move between classes across campus. With patented SafePort air protection to shield the laptop against impacts, the flexible case allows users to work on the laptop while it is still inside the case.
Comprehensive Education-focused Solutions
Our goal is to help provide new ways to ensure educational continuity that works with face-to-face, remote and hybrid learning methods and supports users and institutions across different platforms. By expanding our portfolio to include innovative collaboration solutions and optional services and software offerings, we are better positioned to anticipate and smooth the way towards the broader needs of remote learning.
- Lenovo Hybrid Classroom solutions bring smarter collaboration to the classroom, helping teachers create more immersive and flexible learning environments that can support students in multiple locations.
- The easy to setup, deploy and manage offerings include options for Microsoft Teams, Zoom or Google Meet platforms for seamless integration into existing infrastructure.
- Accidental Damage Protection covers accidents beyond system warranty.
- Zero touch deployment enables system provisioning seamlessly and securely while offerings like etching and configure to order allow the right levels of customization.
- Safeguarding data and maximizing protection for students and teachers is paramount. Absolute can track, assess and manage devices; SentinelOne offers AI-powered endpoint security through real-time prevention, detection and response against known and new malware strains.
A critical part of digital transformation in education is understanding the needs and challenges of teachers and students. Lenovo offers robust IT and instructional software solutions to be part of that transformation.
- LanSchool Air helps teachers push content to student devices to help them stay focused and engaged.
- Our instructional software suite now includes Exploros, an innovative digital platform that delivers flexible curriculum based learning with in-person and virtual capabilities.
- Creativity Apps for Chromebook bring together five digital tools that promote collaboration, communication and critical thinking to empower students to tap into their creative thinking. The apps can be managed at scale using the Google Admin Console.
Emerging Technologies Provide the Key to Smarter Education
Learning and educating looks very different today, but how will it look tomorrow? Emerging technologies provide an insight into the future of education and in many areas, this is already happening today. The Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) curriculum and Esports are driving a great deal of innovative education breakthroughs.
Lenovo VR Classroom 2 brings a whole new immersive experience to learning and training use cases. Bringing topics to life can be a big step in the understanding and comprehension of subject matter. the understanding and comprehension of subject matter.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology has the potential to benefit schools and institutions in the near future. As AI becomes more commonplace and our efficiencies improve as a result of AI analytics, we will be able to translate that into education to better serve students, teachers and administrators.
Esports in education is a new concept, but one that is being embraced by a broad set of students already familiar with gaming. We can help schools build an Esports program to use as a tool to encourage engagement, teamwork and strategic thinking. Importantly Esports can also be a highly diverse and inclusive program.